ATL stands for Applied Trans-discipline Learning. This is referred to as the ‘No Limits’ Model.
Applied Trans-discipline Learning: Learning between, across and beyond different disciplines, that is relevant to the real world and applied to real practical situations. The goal is to access, analyse and synthesise information and knowledge over several disciplines in order to understand the operation and issues facing the world today and in the future.
Aspirations recognise that, as well as knowledge, students need to develop their ability and skills to apply and repurpose knowledge in order to survive in a rapidly changing world.
In order to ensure the development of a curriculum that ensures a depth of knowledge, the application of knowledge and the development of 21st century skills, the central feature of the ‘No Limits’ model is the development of a curriculum that fully embraces both single-discipline Learning (CORE) and trans-discipline learning (APPLIED).
The essential 10 skills for success in the 21st century
- Sense making (critical thinking): The ability to think clearly and rationally, understanding how and why ideas connect.
- Communication (social intelligence): The ability to connect to others effectively, to sense and stimulate reactions and interactions.
- Creative and adaptive thinking (Innovation): The ability to think and develop solutions and ideas.
- Cross-cultural competency (Global Citizenship): The ability to operate in different cultural settings.
- Entrepreneurialism: The ability to meet an unsatisfied demand or to radically improve the performance of something.
- Media literacy: The ability to use and develop content that uses all media forms.
- Trans-disciplinarity: The ability to access, analyse and synthesise information across several disciplines (subjects).
- Productivity and accountability: Productivity is the ability to create a product whilst accountability is taking a role in the creation of a product and taking responsibility for the performance of the product.
- Cognitive load management: The ability to discriminate and filter information for importance. This involves all aspects of perception, thinking, reasoning, and remembering.
- Collaboration: The ability to work productively, drive engagement, and demonstrate presence as a member of a team, physically and virtually.
The year 7 ATL No limits curriculum will be delivered within five assignments during the academic year. Each Assignment will have a driving question and incorporate a number of different disciplines.